What's the Big Deal About T-Lock Shingles?




1.) They ain't making them anymore and #2.) They are absolutely the worst shingles that were ever produced! But seriously folks, I can put my hand underneath a T-Lock shingle - THERE IS NO SEALING STRIP and this salient fact makes it a very inferior shingle, in comparison to laminated dimensional shingles; they also take 2 nails, versus 6 on dimensionals. So, because they don't make them anymore, they are considered "Non-repairable," which has resulted in numerous roof replacements in Lakewood, Colorado & environs.

Don't worry though, select a reputable re-roofing company to look at your roof before you call your insurance to see if you have a potential claim. Please, please, please do not sign anything until you are comfortable with a decent roofing company. Just know this: there are numerous "door knocker" storm-chaser companies looking for work and they get business by contractually backing customers into a corner before the Insurance company has even been there.

Let's get back to T-Locks though. They are an inferior shingle and should be replaced if you can. Over the past few years, I have seen more and more leak situations because they had a T-Lock shingle roof. I usually see T-Locks misapplied to roofs with a pitch lower than 4/12, which goes against manufacturer spec and building codes. Insurance companies are getting smarter, because they stepped up to the plate and decided to replace T-Locks with "Laminated Dimensional" type shingles. These DO HAVE sealing strips and I cannot put my hand up under them, like I can with T-Locks. If anyone is reading this and you live on the west side of Denver, please call Robert "Smitty" Smith of Excel Roofing to look at your roof, so you can make an informed decision to call your insurance company and place a claim, or not.

Robert "Smitty" Smith,
Project Manager
Excel Roofing ....... cell - 720-297-0436
www.excelroofing.com office - 303-761-6400

& fax - 303-761-6400

Comments

  1. I didn't know that T-Locks were such a bad option for shingles. I saw a house with T-Lock shingles the other day, and I really liked how they looked on the home. I guess I'm just basing it off of looks and not off of function. I should definitely look into both when I decide what kind of shingles to get for my home. Especially where I live, a leaky roof and/or flooding would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Since it rains all the time, I should look into a roofing option that is equipped to deal with lots of rain instead of looking for the roofing option that looks the coolest. Who knows, maybe I can find both? http://alignroofing.com/commercial/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION - HOWDY!

A VERY COMMON ROOFING PROBLEM ...